Tuesday 25 September 2012

Treatment update

Well, I am so relieved to report that it looks like the consultant I saw last Friday was confused and I am not going to need the extra 6 months of cetuximab aka mouse drug! Yay! I saw Fiona, my CNS, yesterday whilst I was having my chemo and she was pretty sure that this was the case but she was awaiting confirmation from my normal consultant. She heard back this morning and kindly phoned with the good news! I am so relieved! Of course if it was deemed a good idea, I'd have had the treatment but I'm glad this will not be the case. I can now get on with making plans again without having to factor in weekly hospital visits!

Yesterday's chemo session was a bit of a long one! Now if all goes smoothly, it take about 5 and half to 6 hours (2 lots of 2 hours for the cetuximab and then oxyplatin, plus flushes on each line at the start, in between and at the end and then 5 minute bonus of 5 fu and then hooking up to pump aka condom bottle). Anyway, there was a 2 and a half hour delay getting the drugs up from pharmacy! I wasn't the only one who was affected by this and there was a rumour that the registrar was late prescribing the drugs. Grr! At least it gave the rain time to clear and the sun come out (and then set!).

Last night I got to experience a new side effect to me - jelly legs! Thankfully, my twitter friend Hayley reassured me that it would only last a few hours, which it did! Thanks so much Hayley! It's so great to be able to get advice and reassurance from others who are going through or have been through similar things to me, either via twitter or on the forums! Not sure what I would have done in the days before such things existed! Thank you all for your support!

I am now back to enjoying the cold sensitivity that comes with the oxyplatin. I've decamped to my sister's house in Leicester for the night and have made the most of being able to turn the heating on (I won't tell you what I've set the thermostat at!). In the building I live in, the heating doesn't get switched on until 1st October. Last year we were all complaining it made it too warm as it was 30c outside, but we can't wait this year! Brrrr!

As I said, I've come up to Leicester for the night - it's the first time my 5fu pump, aka the condom bottle, has been on holiday! As I'm only attached to it for 46 hours, it's never been worth leaving London before as I only get one day off between the hospital visits. However, Sarah had to come on a course back here this afternoon and I decided to give her a break from going up and down to London on the train by giving her the pleasure of driving up and down the m1 instead, with me tagging along as navigator, sweet dispenser and dj! I tell you what, the 12 miles of 50mph limit near Luton are boring - we saw 5 people working this morning! And as for lorries trying to over take each other on hills when they are all limited to 60mph, just don't get me started!

Anyway, that's enough from me for now! I'm off to fill in applications to do some volunteering for two wonderful charities, Beating Bowel Cancer and Bowel Cancer UK.

Bye

Xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment