Tuesday 2 October 2012

White gloves

I'm typing this whilst wearing gloves so please forgive my typos! Why am I wearing gloves i hear you ask? Well, don't worry it is not that cold in my flat! The heating was turned on in my building yesterday and with the one radiator in my flat, I am now nice and toastie with the lounge currently 25c!! I have had to open the windows and turn the radiator off! Anyway, I am wearing gloves because my skin is so dry now thanks to the mouse drug that my hands are beginning to crack - ow! I'm therefore smothering them in super strong hand cream and wearing cotton gloves to help it get absorbed by my hands (as well as making sure I don't leave a greasy trail over everything I touch!). I look like some sort of mime artist!! It also puts me in mind of the ladies in the fifties that wore white gloves all the time - maybe I have watched 'The Help' too recently! Anyway, hopefully this technique will help my skin, even if it does make using touch screen devices rather laborious!

So what else has been happening in the world of Rach? Bet you've all been on the edge of your seats! ;-) Well, after last weeks trip to the Midlands and back, I had the penultimate condom bottle unattached on Wednesday afternoon, no problems. We didn't even get as far as the waiting room, as the chemo day unit was so quiet that the nurses could see to me straight away! I almost put my foot in it and said "it's dead in here" - not sure that would have gone down well, given the location though!

Sarah left me to my own devices on Thursday and I have been flying solo ever since. The first few days, I felt a bit icky, as usual with that stage of the chemo cycles, with not having much energy and feeling nauseous. I was also feeling the cold more than I have for a while. Thankfully, Monday brought a new week and it was as if a switch was flicked! I woke up feeling ok and with the heating now on, the cold sensitivity is now a lot better!

Yesterday afternoon I had my first yoga session since my operation! I can't believe it's been so long, but with everything that's been going on, it just hasn't been possible before now. It was really great to get moving again and give my body a good old stretch! It certainly needs it, with having been curled up on the sofa pretty much constantly for the last 3 months! Anyway, thanks so much Clare for the session and I am looking forward to the next one tomorrow afternoon.

On Friday, Dad and I are back off to clinic. Hopefully we'll see my normal oncologist and she can confirm once and for all what the treatment plan is. I received a copy of the letter that the other consultant sent my GP and in the section about treatment so far, it made no mention whatsoever about my liver surgery, which makes me even more sure that the consultant hadn't read through my notes enough to realise that this had taken place.

I'm hoping that the weekend will bring some fine weather as I'm having a day out on Sunday. My great friend Aisling is running the Royal Parks Half Marathon in aid of Sense and I'm off to cheer her on. I'm also hoping to meet up with some other Beating Bowel Cancer supporters to cheer on the runners raising money for that great charity! I am looking forward to it and have so much respect for people who go to so much effort raising money for so many worthwhile causes! Hopefully next year I'll be able to do my bit, although I'm not aiming for a half marathon just yet, don't worry Mum! It's going to be a bit of a sad day though as Aisling is moving to Exeter that evening ready to start her new job at the Met Office the next day. I'm going to miss you Ais, and wish you all the very best. Don't worry though, you can't get rid of me that easily! ;-)

Anyway, I'd better go and get some lunch.

Bye for now

Xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment