Friday 19 October 2012

Is this it?

Sorry it's been a while since I last blogged but it's been a busy couple of weeks. I've managed to go to the hospital 6 times in the last two weeks! That sounds a lot doesnt it, even for me!

Well, I guess, like many stories, it's best to begin at the beginning ...

I told you all about the fun I had on Monday 8th on what was meant to be my last chemo day, in my last post, so I guess I can actually skip over visit 1.

Visit 2 was Wednesday 10th for the chemo attempt 2. This was meant to be a straight forward 2-3 hours for the oxyplatin infusion and then the 5fu pump attachment (aka the infamous condom bottle). The day did also involve a shift change as sis handed over to mum as baby sitter. Well, needless to say, there was a bit of a wait to start treatment and so we'd been going about half an hour when it came time for sis to hand over to mum. I had managed to have both lines of my PICC successfully flushed and the chemo to start. I should say now I guess that my double PICC has been a bit temperamental and has had a tendency to block. Anyway, it only took a few minutes for sis to leave before the alarms on the IV to start going off to tell us that on both lines had obstructions! Uh oh! I guess the curse of me and mum was to strike again! I've had both PICCs used as at the same time as the oxyplatin infusion, I've been having a frolic acid infusion. For some reason, after working fine for half an hour, both lines had had enough. My lovely chemo nurse flushed both lines again, with great difficulty and put some urokinase (a clot buster drug) down the lines to try and clear them. After much head scratching by four of the nurses on the unit, including the two sisters, it was decided that they would try putting the infusions through at half speed. Thankfully this worked and the lovely drugs finally went into my system! I never seem to do anything the easy way and I guess my body decided that it wanted to make what is hopefully my last chemo session a memorable one for me and the staff! :-)

Thursday was a quiet and uneventful day, thankfully, and then it was time for the final condom bottle to be removed. Friday brought visit number 3 for this to be done. Because of the PICC problems on Wednesday I had been nervous that the pump wouldn't work, to such an extent that I'd even been weighing the bottle to check it was getting lighter! (it takes about a day or so for the condom to visibly shrink) thankfully the bottle was getting lighter! I guess at an infusion rate of 2.5ml an hour, it was slow enough to cope with even a partially blocked line. The condom bottle was dispensed with no problem, and my nurse gave both PICCs a good flush. I now am the proud owner of a redundant bottle pouch on a belt - I guess it'll be good for the hip flask! ;-)

Mum and Dad stayed with me over the weekend as I wasn't really up to much, thanks to the cumulative side effects of the chemo - tiredness was the main issue, along with some nausea, so I think I spent a lot of the weekend asleep! Not much entertainment value there for the parents! Sorry folks!

Right, week 2 started with visit number 4 on Monday morning - CT scan time! My nausea is normally eased by having a little something to eat, but as my scan was at 9.30am and I wasn't allowed anything to eat for 6 hours before, we had to come up with a new plan! Thankfully, those acupressure bands that you can buy for travel sickness seemed to help. Dad and I headed to the hospital and thankfully there wasn't too long to wait before I was taken into the scan room. Now, there have been issues in the past with me having scans (firemen, lost veins, PICC line problems) but thankfully this time went relatively smoothly. I had the lovely contrast put through my PICC and had the scan done, all in about 10 minutes. Then came the blip - they had taken off the dressing over my PICC to put the contrast through and only had a cannula dressing (basically a piece of sticky dressing with no gauze or anything) to cover it - they put that on to stop the PICC falling out (the PICC was held in by two stitches, so wasn't likely to go anywhere). Anyway, as the scanning department couldn't redress my PICC and I couldn't do it either as they hadn't cleaned it ( I had a couple of dressings with me) Dad and I headed up to the day unit and the nurses there kindly sorted me out with a cleaned and flushed PICC and it nicely blanketed up in dressings, all nice and cozy! 

Visit 5 was for a blood test, so on Wednesday I headed back to the day unit for a hour and a half wait before a quick 5 minute job! You've got to love the NHS sometimes, don't you?! Anyway, that was all done and dusted, with an appointment made for a PICC flush in 10 days time.

Now today was visit 6 to the hospital and was to be by far the most significant. Today I was due to get the results of the scan and from that my consultant was to decide if I am cancer free!! Eek! Probably needless to say, its been a nervous few days and I've not been able to concentrate on much. Mum, Dad and sis came to the hospital with me - a bit like my entourage! We had a bit of a wait but nothing as long as normal and then one of the registrars called me through. Here goes! The registrar started off by saying that the scan report hadn't been done yet!!! What!!?? How can I have come to the hospital to get news like that!!?? Thankfully, he went on to explain that my oncology consultant had looked at the scan images though and as far as she could tell, there was nothing untoward on them. Phew!!! We'll have to wait for the formal report but hopefully that will say the same thing. The cancer markers in my blood (The CEA) are a little elevated, at 14 (normal levels are below 5, but I have had mine up in the 70s). This marker can be elevated as a result of chemo though, so it is not really reliable so close to chemo finishing. I am to go back to see the consultant in 5 weeks, by which time hopefully the marker will have dropped and it will be confirmed that I don't need any more treatment. The best bit today though was the fact that I had my PICC taken out (its left a lovely bruise!). For me this is a great indication that the doctors think that no more treatment will be needed as if they thought it was a possibility that I'd need more chemo then they would have said to leave it in for now! The registrar took the line out there and then! He did make a bit of a hash of dressing it though - typical doctor! ;-) Anyway, I am now PICC free and the days of wrapping my arm in cling-film to have a shower are in the past again! Yay!!

To celebrate what we consider a good news day, the family are playing sardines staying in my ickle flat tonight, so we got a take away and opened a bottle of wine. Now, I have not had any alcohol since before I started this second chemo encounter back in February, so having a glass of a very nice red went straight to my head!! Hic!

Anyway, on the day we are all standing up to cancer, I have and I think I have finally kicked its ass!! (I can say that, I've had bowel cancer!)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for all their support and love that you have given me as I have encountered chemo again - I wouldn't have got through it without you all!! Oh goodness, I must be a bit tipsy - I LOVE YOU!!!  Hic hic ;-)

xxxxx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Rach! You're kicking its ass good and proper!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    ReplyDelete