Saturday 1 June 2013

Something suspicious that glows

Over the last few months I have been again been back under the microscope as the clever peeps look for some way to explain why my cancer markers were rising. Back in January, my routine 3 monthly checkup showed that the little buggers had risen from the all time low of 8 at the end of chemo last October. Anyway, this prompted a CT scan and colonoscopy. The latter showed up nothing worrying, just a couple of small polyps that were removed. The CT scan however, picked up 'something' roughly in the area of my ovary - possibly a cyst. To check this, I was referred to have an ultrasound. This was done and nothing was found - if there was a cyst, it had apparently burst, as these things do. This all took me to March. The day after my birthday I got the news that the cancer markers were still going up, so it was decided that a PET scan would be a good idea, to see if there were any areas that picked up the radioactive glucose more than it should.

I had a bit of a shock when it came to finding out that there was something not right with the scan results. I was due to get them from my oncologist a couple of weeks after the scan. On the Monday before this I got a letter in the post saying that an appointment had been made with my surgeon for the following Tuesday. This meant that there was obviously something there that needed cutting out, but what and where?! My imagination was working over time! I called my CNS nurse, but she was on holiday! I just couldn't think straight. I called my surgeon's secretary to try and get more info. My surgeon was in clinic but his secretary kindly said she would see if he could give me a call. The secretary called back and arranged for me to see the surgeon the next day rather than wait a week. Mum and Dad rushed up to London to come with me.

When we saw the surgeon, he explained that the PET scan had picked up 'something suspicious that glows' roughly in the region of my left ovary (the same area where the CT had picked up something). With the two operations I had already had, they weren't sure if and what it could be attached to as my innerds were likely not in the correct anatomical position anymore. Therefore, it could be attached to the ovary, my womb, the outside of what's left of my bowel, my bladder or the peritoneum! Cripes! The list was near endless! The best way to find out would be to open me up and then they could remove it at the same time! (Gulp) This would potentially leave me with an illiostomy, if it was attached to the outside of the bowel and therefore they would have to remove more of the bowel (I was only just able to get away without having one when I had my initial bowel surgery). I was given a surgery date of a meat two weeks later! (Gulp, gulp) To check that there were no signs from the inside of a tumour pushing in from the outside, I was to have a colonoscopy the day before the operation (triple gulp)!

As they didn't know exactly what they were going to find, I had to effectively sign a blank cheque when I consented for the operation. I had already said that if it was attached to the ovary or womb, then they could remove it. I wanted more to have the best chance of survival than worry about having children. I'm now 35 and so my chances were reducing anyway. I also think that there are plenty of children out there that need love if and when I am in a position to want a family. Besides, who knows what effect the chemo had already had!

Anyway, after long delays before the colonoscopy because of equipment problems, the scope came back fine, with no sign of any intrusion (phew). After a dinner of soup (welcome after no food for more than a day), it was finally the night before my operation. With all the unknowns, we didn't know how long I would be in hospital for or how long recovery would be. All the unknowns were a bit scary! At 7am the next morning, I was admitted. The operation didn't take place until the afternoon and the last thing I remember was going to sleep in the anesthetiser room at 12.10pm.

I woke up again around 5 hours later. My surgeon was soon at my bedside and he explained that they had found the growth on my womb and a cyst on one of my ovaries, which had become stuck together, so they had done a hysterectomy!! (Huge gulp)

I spent the next four days in hospital recovering on the ward. I was mobile a lot quicker than my first operation and with having the morphine pump to control my pain I got on better. They had cut out my original bowel surgery scar and just extended the cut a bit to access my abdomen so in effect I have had a big of a tummy tuck (not as much of one as I would like, but hey ho ;-)) the new scar is also very wiggly, which has made for some interesting times trying to get the dressings to cover it! Sometimes I think it would be easier if the surgeons could cut me the same length as the dressings and in a straight line ;-)

Sarah looked after me for the first couple of weeks at home and then I came to my parents place. It is now just over 3 weeks since the operation and I am recovering well. The staples were taken out by my surgeon when I saw him for follow up about 10 days ago. He was pleased with how everything was healing, as was my Gynae surgeon. They said that it was another bowel cancer met rather than a new type of cancer. My oncologist, who I saw a week ago, said that there was no need for chemo (yay)! I am still waiting to hear if I need radiotherapy - it will depend on how big the margins around the tumour they were able to cut out). The decision on this comes on Monday. Fingers crossed it won't be needed!

I have been very luck with being able to see friends whilst I have been in recovery and thank you all for the well wishes, cards, pressies, tweets, texts, calls etc! You are all so kind! I have decided that this will be my last adventure with cancer and am now looking forward to getting back to full health and enjoying the rest of my life - so many things to do, places to go, people to meet! And I'll now save a fortune on tampax to help me fund it! ;-)

Take care everyone

All my love

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment