Tuesday 15 May 2012

CT scan success

Well, today has been a more successful day than yesterday. I got kindly woken by a call from a radiographer at the hospital (I'm not a morning person at the best of times, so I guess an 8.50am call isn't too bad really!) to try and sort out having a CT scan after last night's faffing. It turns out that I could have easily be canulated through my hand no problem, despite what the consultant said last night. However, when I mentioned that I had a PICC line, Brenda (the radiographer) seemed to think this was wonderful. She told me that depending on the type of PICC line I have, I could either be attached to the pump for the contrast dye to go in, or she could manually push the dye through the line. All in all I thought that this was great news - no needles! It was a good thing she called when she did though as I can't have food for 4 hours before the scan so no breakfast for me! (It was a good thing that we had fish and chips last night as a post (failed) scan treat!)

Anyway, I was already off to the hospital this morning for a non-cancer related appointment (at Christmas I was treated with a steroid injection for 'trigger finger' and this was just a check up to see if all was fine - it is). Therefore, we went off to the scanning department after my hand check up and met with the lovely Brenda. She remembers me from last year when we had the fun of the fire-alarm (I won't bore you with that story again - you must all know about it by now)!! She had a look at my PICC line and it is the new type that can be hooked up to the pump -yay!! So from there on it was smooth sailing - I was all connected up and the scan was done! I was even shown the poster on the wall on how to hook up a PICC to the pump for the contrast dye - not sure why they couldn't look at that last night!! According to Brenda, in future, make sure any CT appointments are daytime ones, not evening ones so that she can look after me!! :-)

This afternoon, Mum and I had a go at juicing for the first time - a nice green veg juice as recommended by Aisling - thanks Aisling! It was really yummy and I've made enough for the rest of the week! I'm now scouring my recipe books for the next idea, although Ingy I will be trying your suggestion - thanks mate!

The rest of today has consisted of more zzzzz!! I am slowly getting more energy each day, but it's being a slow old bounce-back this time around! 

Mum's heading back home tomorrow and then it's Dad's turn to babysit Thursday / Friday so that we can go  for my check-up with my oncologist and have my PICC flushed again - this PICC is getting an awful lot of TLC to help me get through the rest of my treatment!! Hopefully my oncologist will have some results from today's scan when we see her on Friday, so fingers crossed it doesn't show anything it shouldn't! 

Well, that's all from me folks! All I have left to say is that I hope my great friends Helen and Paul get some bad weather to chase through the states soon!! Happy holidays guys! 

xxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rachel, hope you are getting on OK. Just saw your post about juicing - go for it girlfriend. A friend of mine called Shaz is the guru when it comes to raw foods, superfoods, and the healing power of healthy eating. Some of it's a load of old hippy cobblers but somewhere in it there is something that makes sense - Shaz swears by it all. Even it it's not doing any good it tastes scrummy so give it a burn.


    http://shazzie.com/life/subscriptions/superfood_smoothies.pdf


    (Sorry about the racy picture on page 4 by the way).

    ReplyDelete