Friday 11 May 2012

Right, here is the plan

OK then, I have finished my 12 weeks of pre-op chemotherapy (well I will  have done by the end of the day when my 6th condom bottle comes off). So what's next I hear you say? Here is the current plan as it stands. As with everything in life, the plan is subject to change, especially with the whims of the NHS involved!! 


Monday 14th May 7pm: I am having a CT scan from my neck to hips to check that nothing else is going on apart from the known growth on the top of my liver. I'm not sure that they can use my PICC line to put in the contrast substance needed so this may be pin cushion time!! 


Friday 18th May: I have my regular fortnightly clinic appointment with my lovely oncologist - we will decide then whether to have one more Cetuximab infusion (the mouse / biological treatment) before my operation, or whether to leave it until after the op and have 5 rounds of Cetuximab then. I'll also pop up to the chemo day unit to have my PICC line cleaned and flushed (this has to be done every 7 days to prevent infection and any blockages).


Monday 21st May: I have my regular blood test - luckily the blood can be taken out through my PICC line so they don't have to play hunt the vein with needles!! 


Tuesday 22nd May: If it's decided at my clinic appointment to go ahead with another Cetuximab infusion pre-op, this will be when it's due to happen. 


Friday 25th May: PICC line clean and flush - this will be a recurring weekly appointment the whole time I have my PICC line in - most likely at least to the end of the year.


Sunday 10th June: Finally something not treatment related - this is the day when I am going to try and break the record for the slowest 5km in the Race for Life at Crystal Palace!! I am really looking forward to taking part in this and hopefully we'll have some nice weather so that I can enjoy an ice cream afterwards! ;-) (Thanks to all who have sponsored me so far - anyone else with a few spare pennies, here's the link again: http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/rachelvince163 )


Monday 11th June 1pm: Another trip to Guildford is on the cards - this time for an MRI on my liver. This is so my surgeon has as clear a picture as possible of what he'll be facing when it comes to the slicing me open!


Saturday 16th to Saturday 23rd June: Spain here I come!! Time to get me some tan lines for the surgical team to admire! I am really looking forward to chilling by the pool and lounging on the beach! Garth is to be my butler for the week! ;-)


Tuesday 3rd July: This is the big day hopefully - operation time in Guildford!! (There'll be a pre-op assessment session in Guildford sometime in the week before the big day). The hope is that I'll only be in the hospital for a week after the operation, with the first couple of days in ICU just so that can keep an extra close eye on me. 


Mid August - early September: Depending on how well I recover from my operation, I am due to start 12 more weeks of chemo any time from around mid August to early September. As well as the 6 fortnightly doses of Oxyplatin and 5FU, I will also get the remaining 4 or 5 doses of Cetuximab. 


End of 2012: I hope to be back to work and starting to get back to normal life again! 


I think that covers just about everything as it stands at the moment! I will update with any further events as they come along. I will of course indulge in my hobby of being an arm chair sports fan - thank goodness for the Olympics, Paralympics, Grand Prix and Wimbledon. I may even manage to sit through some of the European football championships!! ;-) I am also hoping to be well enough to go to see some of the Paralympics events that I have tickets for! I have decided not to try and get any Olympics tickets as I am not sure how well I will have recovered from my op by then. 


xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment