Friday 31 August 2012

Cake and chemo - the rematch!

You'll all be pleased to hear that yesterday was a much less disastrous day than Tuesday seemed to be! The only thing that tried to put a dampener on things was my persistent headache that ibuprofen and paracetamol couldn't shift! It turns out that when you are given cetuximab on its own it can cause a headache! Although I did have a dose of cetuximab on its own back in May, it's likely that there would still have been some of my other chemo drugs in my system, so no headache then. Anyway, with getting the oxyplatin and the 5FU yesterday afternoon the headache has just about gone! Yay!

Thankfully, all went straight forwardly at the hospital yesterday afternoon and I am now all hooked up to condom bottle number 7 of 10! I have it connected until tomorrow afternoon and have quickly gotten used to it hanging around again!! Thankfully, so far the side affects from the chemo have been minimal - at the moment I can drink room temperature drinks and don't have to clean my teeth in warm water. I'm taking my anti nausea meds as I hate feeling sick - thankfully not felt that way yet! I did get a quite numb right ear when I went out for a walk with mum this evening though - funny how it's always been my right ear that is affected first!! Hummm

Anyway, as I mentioned, mum is here now. It's been shift change day with sis having to go back home so she can go to work tomorrow. Dad bought mum up this afternoon and then took my car back to their house so that he can get it MOT'd tomorrow! Mum and I are then heading back for the weekend after I'm done at the hospital tomorrow afternoon. Thanks so much to you all, sis, mum and dad, for all the too-ing and fro-ing you are doing for me!!

Speaking of sis, the poor thing had to spend her birthday coming to chemo with me rather than meet up with her friends. Thanks again Sarah! To make it up to her I let her choose the take away for dinner!! Pizza was consumed!! Then it was cake time!! I had made her a New York style baked cheesecake from the original cheesecake recipe in the Junior's cookbook. Junior's is a chain of cheesecake restaurants in New York City that Sarah and I fell in love with when we were there for my 30th! This recipe calls for nearly 1kg of full fat Philadelphia cheese, among other naughty things!!! Well, thankfully even after my disasters whilst making it, it tasted good in the end!! We haven't quite finished it!! ;-)

Today, whilst supervising shift change I've been enjoying watching the Paralympics - truly inspirational!! I really loved the opening ceremony last night, especially seeing all the colourful outfits worn by the competitors - mexico certainly won that one!! I'm looking forward to vegging out and watching the games, and then I can plan my next mini adventure gold postbox tour!! Go Paralympic GB!!

Anyway, just to finish off with, here's a photo of the cake!

Night all

No comments:

Post a Comment